Nollywood Movie Awards Nominee Sylvya Oluchy: A Rising Star



The first ever Nollywood Movies Awards is due to take place next month, starting off with a Nominees’ Party tomorrow, Saturday 5th of May 2012 at the Oriental hotel in Lagos, Nigeria and the Main Awards Ceremony on Saturday 2nd June 2012 at the Civic Centre also in Lagos, Nigeria.



Sylvya Oluchy nominated in the category 'Rising Star' (for 'BENT ARROWS') spoke to us. She is straight talking and very unassuming. As is our tradition, we always love to bring you banter with beauty and brains.

Congratulations on being nominated in the category of RISING STAR for the first ever Nollywood Movies Awards. How does that feel?
Feels So great. When I first heard about it from a friend and checked the website to confirm, the first thought that came to my mind was "finally!". I've been acting for about 5 years now off and on, and I felt like its about time I got some recognition for what I do. Did a little dance-and-woop too. I really hope to win and I believe this is just the beginning. For me an award is the highest fulfilment for my work, not just having fans recognise you on the streets.



Tell us a bit about yourself
I am the last of 6 children, 3 boys and 3 girls born to Dr. Barr C.R Ezeokafor and Late Mrs E.N Ezeokafor. I was born and raised in Abuja. I studied Theatre Arts in Nnamdi Azikiwe university, Awka. My birthday is 7th of june.



Why Sylvya Oluchy? Is there a meaning behind it?
Well I am from anambra state and I was raised a Catholic so Sylvia is my baptismal name, while Oluchi is my Igbo name. My full names are Sylvia Oluchi Ezeokafor. I dropped my last name and changed the spelling of the other two slightly to make it unique and catchy for show business, hence Sylvya Oluchy.


How did you get into acting? Has it always been what you wanted to do?
Nope. When I was much younger I wanted to be a scientist. But whenever I came back from school, I had a little white board and I would stand in front of it and imitate all my teachers. My mum would always say "you'll make a great actress". I never believed her because as a child I was a glass wearing nerd, very anti social and I had a horrible big voice. I wasn't a pretty child either. I was a social pariah in school. As I grew up and gained more confidence I decided to follow my mum's advice and study theatre arts. When I got into school everyone kept commending my performance which was what set my mind that this is what I'm going to do. I joined AGN in 2006 and did my first movie "ZOZA" the same year. Although I had no lines in it.

We are sure you have loads of admirers, how do you cope? and how do you separate your private life from your career?
I may no longer be anti social but I am still very much of a loner. You'll probably catch me engrossed in a sci-fi novel or watching movies or practising my keyboard at home when I'm not working. On the occasion I go out socially but not much. My personal life I keep very private not necessarily by intentionally shying away, but because I am naturally a loner. Most people who meet me outside usually find it hard to believe cos I love to talk and laugh a lot when I'm around people.

A lot of actors talk about having butterflies when they face the camera or people, do you get stage frights and how do you deal with it?
I always get stage/camera fright. Its only natural and its actually a good thing contrary to popular belief. That moment when your palms start getting sweaty and the "butterflies" are fluttering is actually due to your brain releasing a hormone which boosts your energy level and heightens your senses; adrenaline rush. Its this feeling that makes some artistes take drugs before going on stage. So stage fright is a natural form of it.



Any new projects in the pipeline?
Yes. I have a few projects soon to be released in the cinema. One is "On Bended Knees" directed by Lancelot Imaseun and produced by Emem Isong. Another is "Alan Poza" directed by Charles Novia. Also I featured in "Secrets and Scandals" season 5 which will hit tv screens soon. I am presently showing a movie titled "Facade" directed by No Dash.

On a last note we always ask our celebs a 'ridonculous' question lol... which is the same as a silly question...If you were stucked on an island, what three things would you really wish you had?
LOL. Firstly I would wish to be stuck with someone else, because I wouldn't want to be alone. Secondly, a cell phone or laptop to contact help and thirdly, toothbrush and toothpaste because I so hate a stinky breath.

Lol, we feel you Sylvya.

Comments

  1. i saw her in bent arrows congrats to her

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It is an offence to walk and text