AfriKan Barbie: Fashion with a heart
We met this very young and enterprising lady, Monique Jobi AKA AfriKan Barbie and we were so taken in by her. Loads of ideas and creativity would be an understatement. It was refreshing chatting with this 20 year old fashion entrepreneur.

Tell us a bit about yourself, your foray into the fashion world and First job in fashion? What's AfriKan Barbie all about? And who are your target clients?
My name is Monique Jobi, I'm 20yrs old from Nigeria but live in America. My clothing line is like my child. One summer I was bored and I always wanted to create something so I asked my mom to buy me a sewing machine and she did!! I was so excited, so out of boredom I learnt on you tube videos how to thread the machine and so on. That's when I began my first masterpiece. I designed about 10 outfits in 2wks and showcased my first designs at Fest Africa 2011 in Silver Spring, Maryland (USA). It was an exciting, ever since then I've been venturing into different shows and also developed my signature barbie and ken doll look. My target market is the youth of this generation typically ranging from 15-26yrs. Afrikan Barbie is me!, its a name my friend gave me out of a joke he said "you look like an Afrikan barbie" and I took it as a compliment ever since then that's been my signature name what people know me by. From there my sister formed Afro Barb, I believe every female is beautiful and could attain the barbie image in any shape or size. African attire at its best bringing out that inner Barbie in every female shape and size or ethnicity. Afro Barb caters to the modern African woman along side Afro Ken the male line essentualizing our strong African men into the perfect ken doll. Afro Barb Afro Ken armor of African Fashion.

Do you try to send out a message or theme in your clothes?
I have a theme of my outfits Afro Barb and Afro Ken , the barbie collection. This basically means as the name implies a barbie look for every female from the makeup to the hair to the clothing and the styling everything is put into consideration in making the perfect barbie look.
Whats your Favourite stylist trick?
My favorite style trick has to be the mixture of native print which i use , for example i match a African print top which i design with a pair of jeans high waist shorts .

What would you say are the Five items every girl needs in their wardrobe?
A pair of leggings, a pair of shorts , a colored blazer, pock a dot stockings and ofocurse some type of African print.
Biggest mistake women make when shopping or getting dressed?
I have to say not mixing colors right.

Biggest inspiration?
I have to say God because he is the one that put the creative ideas in me.
Have you got any favourite designers?
I love Deola Sagoe and Ella and Gabby, wonderful designers.
If you had one wish, what would it be?
That God would elevate Afro Barb to be one of the well known designs in the world.

Comments
Post a Comment