Charles Inojie: If you join the industry with the mind of "becoming a star," chances are that you could become easily frustrated



Despite the fact that Charles Inojie  has starred in a lot of movies, he is popularly called "Suraju", a character he played in a movie titled "Sinners in the House" directed by Lancelot Oduwa Imasuen. Ever so polite and gentlemanly, Inojie is also a Filmmaker, Producer, director, compere and a lover of the Arts. Some of his directed works includes: Inheritance, Spirit of life, Reggae Boys,  Police Recruit, Two Bad Boys, Cat and Rat, Inheritance and Johnny Just Come. Its been so hard pinning him down as he's been so busy of late going round the country campaigning for a forthcoming election. Oh, did we say he is so funny too?

Where have you been? whats cooking?
I have been around or should I say up and about? In the last couple of weeks I have been going round the country campaigning for my forthcoming elections. By the way, I am contesting the next election of the Actors Guild of Nigeria. I am specifically seeking election into the office of the National Secretary.

Tell us a bit about your background
I am from the Esan speaking part of Edo state, Nigeria. To be precise, I hail from the royal family in Urowa, Esan South East Local Govt Area of Edo state. I attended Eguare Primary School, Ohordua where I was born and grew up with my grandmother. Later I proceeded to Ohordua Mixed Secondary School, Ohordua, both in Esan South East LGA of Edo state, but eventually concluded my secondary education at Iganmode Grammar School, Otta, Ogun state. I hold a Certificate in Acting (CTA, 1993) and a degree in Theatre Arts (B.A Hons, 1999) both from the prestigious University of Port Harcourt.




                          On a movie set



Most of the movies we see you in of late have been Comedies, would you refer to yourself as a comedian or would you say you have been stereotyped?
I am a trained actor with no special bent to a particular genre. My training equips me to function effectively in any aspect of the production process. If I have done well with the comic roles that I have been privileged to play, I should be commended for that. I often challenge whoever thinks I am a stereotype to give me a serious character to play and see how much dispatch and dexterity i would bring to bear on the role. Quite sincerely, I see myself as a thoroughbred professional.

Any advice for up and coming actors?
My advice for up comers is always that they should seek to acquire knowledge about whatever they want to do in Nollywood. It is not enough to have an interest in acting, directing. Cinematography, etc. Such an interest must be backed by the requisite knowledge which would make the vocation ultimately profitable. A profession you venture into by mere expression of interest cannot take you far. I think it is equally very important for people to persevere. If you join the industry with the mind of "becoming a star," chances are that you could become easily frustrated should things go contrary to your projections. You should rather come with the mind of contributing your quota, of giving expression to your innate talents and every other thing would naturally fall into place. Like the Bible admonishes: seek ye first the kingdom of heaven and every other thing shall be added unto thee!

We always ask our celebs a 'Ridonculous' question (same as a silly question...lol). So, what has been your most embarrassing moment so far?
It's actually difficult to tell which has been my most embarrassing moment because I face embarrassment from my fans everyday. In any case, I have come to understand that it is their own way of showing appreciation and love for what I do. However, there's this particular day I was MC at a wedding reception. The chairperson of the event, a lady, argued with me that I wasn't and couldn't be the same Charles Inojie the actor. Her reason was simply that, whereas I spoke flawless English as the compere at the event, the Charles Inojie she knew couldn't be ascribed with such intellectual prowess.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It is an offence to walk and text