A chat with the elegant Penelope Bouchot Humbert
We recently spoke to Penelope Bouchot Humbert from the past came calling. Her performance in and all of the movie, is a must watch! Enjoy her chat with us.
Your performance in THE PAST CAME CALLING was astounding to say the least. What was it like playing that role?
Thank you for the compliment. Everyone has been so nice! The best thing about working with Ruke, Osi and team was that they created a relaxed but professional atmosphere inasmuch as people were straight-forward, just working together, no ego's involved, just getting on with the job in a friendly manner. Ruke left me to find my own way with the character with the minimum but well-chosen direction.
The part of 'Jane' was interesting to play as she was a complex woman whose unfortunate reactions were shaped by the pain of the loss of her husband and the life she enjoyed with him.
The suicide scene where Jane finds her husband's body left me feeling quite shaken and made me realise how important it is to meet up with friends after such a disturbing scene, rather than go home alone.
When did your acting career begin and do you recollect your first role?
If the easy relationships with cast and crew were conducive to creativity in The Past Came Calling then it contrasted with my first role in Theatre after graduating from The London Academy of Performing Arts in 1994.
The play was 'Sex and Sadness', an adaptation of 'In The Bedroom' by Guy de Maupassant.
It was a two-hander and I played the Countess of Sallure. Frankly I was terrified!
My co-star was an experienced luvvie [as was the director whom he fancied]
and I felt quite intimidated - especially when he said 'Oh darling you spoiled my moment!'
However we have since become firm friends.
A little bird told us you are also a model?
Occasionally I do a bit of modelling as I trained in Bond Street aged eighteen. Obviously it is only for charity as I am not tall. I have modelled at 'The Collection'. [a charity fashion show], also for Aga
Moodley and notably for Anna Lady Brocklebank who transported half of London and the press down to her Surrey home, designing the cat-walk round her swimming-pool. My companions on the cat-walk were Sally Farmiloe, her daughter Jade and Lady Colin Campbell. [Fortunately none of us fell in the pool!]. On the 15th March I am due to model for Afghan Aid.
What's your favourite part of being an actress?
What is my favourite part of being an actress? Definitely exploring being someone else. You get to live different lives. This I find really interesting.
What do you do to relax?
To relax I sing Opera arias and ride my ex-polo pony 'Corolla' at my country home in Berkshire.I am frequently told that I have a charismatic stage presence and it also works well on film.. I enjoy improvisation and am equally happy doing high drama or comedy and love nothing more than to 'lose my self' in the role and become that person, giving full rein to my imagination. I am easy to direct and work with. I divide my time between my flat in Chelsea and my ancient rural cottage in Berkshire where I keep my horse. Both locations have been used for filming the latter being ideal for period dramas. I have a very good social life. well connected, give fabulous parties and can bring an audience to see me.




Nice!!!! I must say she was billiant....great workin with her and hope to work with her in the near future
ReplyDelete